Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: OS fingerprint extraction quality when scanning a large number of machines

From: "Giorgio Zoppi" <giorgio.zoppi () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:21:53 +0100

2008/12/17 Michael Head <mrhead () us ibm com>:

Greetings, and apologies if the format of my email is imperfect,

I've been using nmap to collect information for internal asset discovery
and verification processes. I'm using the OS detection, service scan, and
full complement of service probes, and I'm finding that the quality of OS
fingerprints achievable diminishes substantially when I scan more than a
few hosts (from any of several Windows (XP, 2003) installations). When I
scan each host individually with a single call to nmap, those same target
systems return much improved fingerprints.

For example, here are two fingerprints of the same target taken from the
same machine, the first is taken when nmap was asked to scan the entire
subnet, the second was taken when nmap was asked to scan just the host on
its own:

You gave me an idea with this mail. Do you think that if there's some
machine learning
way to relate differents fingerprints? In order to predict
fingerprints, Nmap could actively learn
from previous scans and give more accurate results to its end users,
is that feasible?

--
Quiero ser el rayo de sol que cada día te despierta
para hacerte respirar y vivir en me.