Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: OS fingerprint extraction quality when scanning a large number of machines

From: Michael Head <mrhead () us ibm com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 01:31:29 -0500

David wrote on 12/18/2008 12:15:40 AM:

I found and fixed an OS scan bug in r11421. An implementation error
disabled global congestion control, leading to large bursts of
outstanding probes. With the fix Nmap will not send so many at once.

Unfortunately, as I said I can't reproduce the problem so I don't know
if this fixes it specifically. If you have been compiling from source
please try r11421. Anyone else who has experienced this problem, we
could use your help.

I have been using the 4.76 pre-built windows installer, but I can surely
build and test it here. What's the preferred build system to make sure the
version I try is most comparable to the version I've been using?

I have cygwin and msys/mingw32 installed, but I can avail myself of MS VC++
of various versions.

This change could potentially be disruptive for those of you who do
large-scale OS scans. I'd appreciate some tests before and after r11421.
My feeling is that they will take the same amount of time or will be a
little bit slower.

David Fifield

Thanks,
mike