Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Cannot Detect OS reliably

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:08:55 -0700

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 03:24:05PM -0500, Michael Condon wrote:
I am running a scan nmap -T Aggressive -A -v <target>
It returns the message OSScan results may be unreliable because we could not find at least 1 open and 1 closed port.
Is there any remedy for this, or does the target have itself hardened too much to prevent this?

You are right, the only remedy is to find an open (or closed) port.
Without both an open and closed port Nmap can't run all its OS tests so
there is less information available to guess an OS.

David Fifield