Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Alternatives

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:40:58 -0700

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 05:47:12PM -0600, RB wrote:
Since WinXP with a wireless card precludes using nmap for all but basic
sweeps, I was wondering if anyone in the group might know
if using a liveCD of BackTrack or another Linux distro might work?

I'm a little backwards on this - what functionality is limited in nmap
when not working over an ethernet device (excluding the obvious of L2
stuff)?

Remember that the non-Ethernet limitations only apply on Windows. On
other platforms Nmap can use raw sockets instead of using the Ethernet
interface directly, but Windows doesn't have raw sockets.

So with that in mind, anything that would require raw sockets doesn't
work on Windows with a non-Ethernet interface. This includes port scans
other than the connect scan, OS detection, traceroute, source address
spoofing (hence idle scan too), setting IP options, and some other
things. You can still do service version detection and script scanning
because those use normal socket operations.

David Fifield