Nmap Development mailing list archives

ncat as http proxy server, question mark.

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 02:00:51 +0000

Hi folks,

I attempted to use ncat (latest svn) as an http proxy on both linux and
windows without success:

# ncat -l -vvv --proxy-type http localhost 8080
Listening on 127.0.0.1:8080

Set firefox on that machine to connect via 127.0.0.1:8080 and saw zero
traffic as a result of any http requests.

# ncat -l -vvv --proxy-type http 192.168.1.16 8080
Listening on 192.168.1.16:8080

and directed firefox on another machine to connect via 192.168.1.16:8080.
For any http request I see a HTTP 400 Bad Request response of 1024 bytes
- 996 of them are null chars.

With ncat running as a proxy on a windows machine I notice that a GET
request to it is followed immediately by the response and the requisite
ACK packet is never issued.  The connection is otherwise sound and
terminated gracefully.  ncat running on Linux doesn't suffer from the
missing ACK.

I would have liked to have had a look at this in more detail before
posting, but regrettably haven't got the time at this point.  I also
can't get any debugging info from -vvv with the above commands for some
odd reason...

There's always the possibility that I'm just doing it wrong, but i did
RTFM. Honest, guv.

Any ideas?

Regards,

jah