Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: feature request: choose better default for "Target"

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:06:30 -0600

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 10:34:36AM +0200, Toralf Förster wrote:
starting the zenmap at hone (DSL) the app provides the following 3 items
for "Target": my hostname, the (first) local ip address of my ethernet card
and the peer-to-peer ip address from my provider.
But it would make sense IMHO to provide the inet addr too (in the example
below 85.177.150.53), isn't it ?

Do you mean the list of targets that appears when you click the little
arrow next to the "Target" text box? That box doesn't have default
values; they come from the list of hosts you have previously scanned. So
if you scan your IP address successfully then it will appear in the list
too. The list of targets is kept in ~/.zenmap/target_list.txt.

Or if I misunderstood you, please clarify how Zenmap behaves now and how
it should be improved.

David Fifield