Nmap Development mailing list archives

latest version installed - error with scans

From: "Verde Denim" <tdldev () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:15:21 -0400

I just completed the install of nmap/zenmap with winpcap.
nmap/zenmap version is 4.76
winpcap is 4.02

When running anything other than quick scan on any target, I get this

TCP/IP fingerprinting (for OS scan) requires that WinPcap version 3.1 or
higher and iphlpapi.dll be installed. You seem to be missing one or both of
these.  Winpcap is available from http://www.winpcap.org.  iphlpapi.dll
comes with Win98 and later operating sytems and NT 4.0 with SP4 or greater.
For previous windows versions, you may be able to take iphlpapi.dll from
another system and place it in your system32 dir (e.g. c:\windows\system32).

QUITTING!

I checked for iphlpapi.dll in windows\system32, and it is there
Since winpcap installed with nmap, I would think that nmap would know about
it.

I did have to add "--unprivileged" to the command line, since I'm testing
with a wireless card, and couldn't use nmap at all without that option
specified.

Any input is greatly appreciated.