Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Non-ASCII user names on Windows; internationalization fun

From: Aaron Leininger <rilian4 () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:29:04 -0700

BTW: According to [1] applications should not create files or folders at
the profile level, so I used get_appdata() instead of get_home() in my
above example.
[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb762494(VS.85).aspx

I didn't know that. Does anyone have a strong opinion as to where the
.zenmap directory should go on Windows? We've just been using
C:\Documents and Setting\user because it's the most directly analogous
to /home/user on Unix.

David Fifield

Most windows applications that need a data folder for each user use the 'application data' folder (hidden folder inside
the user's profile folder) to store that type of stuff. Firefox is one, for example ('...application data\mozilla').
Either way, it seems as it will still run into the problem of the non-ascii user name not working as the appdata folder
is inside the user's profile folder. Personally, I don't have a strong opinion on this..but the good ol' boys club in
Redmond seems to...

Ah, the wacky world of Micro$oft...
-Aaron