Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Non-ASCII user names on Windows; internationalization fun

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 20:08:56 -0700

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 11:07:05PM +0100, jah wrote:
On 10/09/2008 21:29, David Fifield wrote:

The Windows I'm trying this on is on a FAT32 partition. Does anyone know
if using NTFS would have any change? If someone wants to try it, it's
pretty easy. Install the East Asian language files (under Regional and
Language Options in the Control Panel), create an account, and copy and
paste something from Wikipedia in the user name field.

I tried this with Chinese on XP with NTFS.
I didn't have nmap installed on this fresh VM and couldn't even launch
the NSIS installer from a directory under the Chinese user's home, but
it installed fine for that user once I'd moved the installer.
Starting zenmap then resulted in the message you saw with kanji - so
filesystem seems to make no difference.

Hi Jah.  Did you do this testing with Nmap 4.76 or 4.75?

Cheers,
-F