Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE script] vhosts on the same ip

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:01:51 -0700

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 11:19:54AM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 07:26:20PM -0700, Fyodor wrote:

How about "external" for a category name?

Sounds good to me!  I also think each "external" script should include
at least a line describing what it does (query live.com, query
dns-oarc.net, etc.) in its description.  After all, there are several
good reasons people might be wary of running "external" scripts:

o Connectivity -- If you're running a scan on an internal network, you
  might not have direct access to these Internet hosts.
o Privacy -- if they're worried about the 3rd party (or someone
  sniffing along the way) collecting the data.

But _usually_ the external scripts aren't a problem.  And some scripts
really can't be written in any other way, so it is important that we
have them.  We just need to warn users so they can be avoided in those
occasional cases where they are undesirable.  At some point I expect
that the --script arguments will be flexible enough that you can
specify things like "all safe scripts, except those in the externals
category" using syntax such as "--script safe,!external".  In fact,
Patrick may already have a patch which does this.  Though we'll need
to brainstorm on nmap-dev to figure out the best approach.

Cheers,
-F