Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Help please thanks

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () everythingeverything co uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 13:13:03 +0100

I tried Nmap 4.68 on a clean Windows 2000 Server build and it doesn't appear
to work at all (you even get the error running "nmap --version"). For now I
think you'll have to use an older version (e.g. 4.60), as I suspect Nmap has
been broken on Windows 2000 ever since we introduced IPv6 support.

I quickly tried including wspiapi.h after the two occasions where ws2tcpip.h
appear, but that didn't appear to stop the error message from occurring,
possibly because there seems to be some other code in Nmap that tries to
address the lack of getaddrinfo.

For reference, I had to install the following on Windows 2000:

Service Pack 4 so I could install...
Windows Installer 3.1. Then I had to install...
Windows2000-KB835732-x86-ENU.EXE (MS04-011) so I could finally install...
Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) and know for certain that the
error message was Nmap's fault.

The MS04-011 requirement for the Visual C++ installer doesn't appear to be
well documented or is a bug/oversight, as Microsoft only states "Windows
2000 Service Pack 4" as a requirement. I have read, but not tested, that
installing the Service Rollup Package also does the trick. Either way, SP4
isn't enough on its own.

I had to install WinPcap using the official installer, as it doesn't look
like our installer has ever installed it correctly (i.e. registered the
service) on Windows 2000. It's not a bug in my updated WinPcap installer, as
I wasn't able to get our old 4.0.2 installer (from Nmap 4.50) to work
either.

I haven't tried Zenmap, but I suspect it runs okay on Windows 2000 as the
VC++ DLLs are supplied with it and IIRC py2exe generated files should work
okay on Windows 9x and above.

Rob