Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: scan based on mac address

From: "sara fink" <sara.fink () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 01:25:50 +0300

The mac is on the local lan.
I have net-snmp installed and I also know the mac of the pc associated to
the router (from kismet).

I wondered about nmao -sP all-ips. In such a case for those who are on the
lan I will get the mac and ip?

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 1:08 AM, Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu> wrote:

You want RARP but I doubt it is well supported anymore.  If the MAC is on
the local LAN just do a -sP for all IPs and check your ARP table afterwards.
 If the MAC is elsewhere you could try to find it with NetBIOS.  You could
also try to use SNMP to query all your local router's ARP tables for it.

For the most part though there is NO generic way to to locate the IP for an
arbitrary MAC.

Brandon

Sent from my phone.  If you would like a digital signature for this email
let me know and I will sign it later.