Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap on Solaris 9 and Solaris 10 not working right? Going way too slow.

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 12:36:17 -0700

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 06:26:46PM +0000 or thereabouts, jayrhine () comcast net wrote:
The Solaris machines go MUCH slower than the Linux
machines.  Note the the below issues only appear to occur with Syn and UDP
scans.  They do not appear to affect connect scans.

This sounds like a pcap buffering issue. Do your versions of solaris use
BPF or DLPI or ...? If BPF, it could be that putting the pcap descriptor
into BIOCIMMEDIATE mode would help:

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q1/0174.html

If you could apply this patch

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q1/att-0174/nmap-4_21ALPHA1-openbsd-performance_patch

removing the #ifdef OPENBSD and possibly changing the constant to
whatever is found in your /usr/include/net/bpf.h and then test the
performance, this would be a big help. One of the reasons why this
patch wasn't applied is that we weren't sure which systems it should
be used on.

Ideally tcpip.cc would #include <net/bpf.h> but I had problems
with redefining BPF structures when I tried this, hence the
hard-coded constant.

Doug