Nmap Development mailing list archives

Removing tcpsequence "class" attribute in Nmap XML output

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:58:07 -0600

Hi everyone,

I found this comment in global_structures.h:

        struct seq_info {
          int responses;
          int seqclass; /* SEQ_* defines in nmap.h.  This should be removed when
                         we remove osscan gen1 cruft. */
          int ts_seqclass; /* TS_SEQ_* defines in nmap.h */

which means I missed it when I removed the first-generation OS
detection. So I went to remove references to seq_info.seqclass. Nowhere
is that member assigned to, so its value is always 0, SEQ_UNKNOWN. The
only thing is this value is used in the class attribute of the
tcpsequence element of the XML output:

<tcpsequence index="17" class="unknown class" difficulty="Good luck!"
values="C8A822E0,C8AA0B28,C8ABF370,C8ADDBB8,C8AFC400,C8B39490" />

The attribute is always "unknown class". It no longer conveys
information, so I want to get rid of it. I don't want to break
applications that parse Nmap XML, though (I checked and Zenmap will need
a small patch). So this is a warning that I plan to remove the
attribute, and a request for anyone to correct me if I'm off base in
removing it.

David Fifield