Nmap Development mailing list archives

NMAP Appears to abort mid-scan

From: "Doug Coburn" <doug_coburn () bigfix com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 23:57:20 -0700

I didn't see this post show up.

Doug

Hello,

I've been running into a problem on some of the NMAP Scan points. So far
the issue symptoms seem to be as follows:

1.       NMAP does not complete the scan against the targeted system(s).
I.E. the generated XML does not have a line stating that it completed
successfully.

2.       If there are any IP's in the subnet left in the subnet they do
not get scanned.

3.       So far the target scan systems appear to have all been Macs.
Strangely the systems that are getting scanned that seem to cause the
issue do not cause the issue after they are rebooted. This could be
coincidence but so far appears to be the case.

4.       This has happened from NMAP running on different O/S's, such as
WinXP SP2, Windows 2003, Windows 2000.

5.       When ran from a command prompt with debugging enabled no error
messages are logged.

6.       NMAP does not error out as it exits but appears to exit
normally unless the error message is getting trapped to something
besides stdout.

7.       Attached is a log files from a NMAP on Windows XP SP2 with NMAP
4.60 and WinPcap 4.0.2 (packet.dll version 4.0.0.1040).

8.       Ran NMAP with -v -d9 to try to capture as much debugging
information as possible.

I tried searching online with google and the archived bug reports but
didn't find something similar but could have easily missed something.
Please let me know if you need any more information or feel free to
point me to something if this is a known issue.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Douglas Coburn

Tech Support Engineer