Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Confused about some port scan results.

From: "Ron (list)" <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:07:52 -0500

Hi Jason,

Jason Cipriani wrote:
1. I'm using the correct command line options, right (UDP scan, in
order, 6000 to 6500, of 192.168.2.200)?
Yes, that's correct.

2. I happen to know that the device only watches for data on port
6300. Why does it say all 501 ports are open/filtered?
See the next answer.

3. What does "open/filtered" mean? Actually what does "filtered" mean?
When I think "filtered" I think "blocked" which is sort of the
opposite of open, but I'm pretty sure nmap isn't trying to tell me
that "all 501 ports are either open or they aren't", lol.
The problem with UDP scans is that there isn't necessarily an indication
that a port is open or filtered. If no data is returned, it may be
because the port is being filtered, or it may be because no data is
being returned. This is the biggest difficulty with UDP scans.

nmap (I believe) attempts to send data to the ports to try and coax the
services to respond, proving that they're open, but for unknown
protocols this may not always be the case.

Something I just recently learned (with thanks to Ed Skoudis at SANS) is
the --reason flag for nmap. If you use that, you should get output like
this:
  6000/udp closed unknown port-unreach
The last column (port-unreach) tells you that the reason it was marked
as "closed" is because the port was unreachable. If you get one that
says something like, "no response", it tells you that the reason it was
marked as open|filtered is because the port didn't respond to any of the
probes.

Hope that helps, and let me know if I stopped making sense somewhere!
Ron

Thanks!
Jason