Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Major SIPOptions probe reorganisation

From: Matt Selsky <selsky () columbia edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:27:38 -0400

Fyodor wrote:

Is SIP ever found on ports 5060?  In other words, is it a service like
SMTP which is almost always found on the same port for the protocol to
work properly, or more like http which you find all over the place?
If it is almost always on 5060 (or a discrete set of ports we can
list), then boosting the rarity sounds like a reasonable option.  I
think it is an important and growing protocol though, so we shouldn't
boost the rarity if it will cause a lot of misses.

5060 is the IANA-registered SIP port.  Shouldn't we always look for SIP
first on that port and then other protocols?

--
Matt