Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] nmap timing info for scripts

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 21:53:22 +0100

On 15/04/2008 01:02, Thomas Buchanan wrote:
Hi Thomas.  Thanks for the patch.  Sorry it took 3 months to reply :(.
Anyway, if you can change your patch to using timing_level() rather
than timing() and you add documentation in docs/nse.xml, I'd be happy
to apply it.  I agree that some scripts might find this useful.

Cheers,
-F

Alright, here's a patch with the name change and documentation you
requested.  I ended up editing docs/scripting.xml, but I think that's
what you meant.  :)

Thanks,

Thomas
Hi all,

I've just been looking at a host that would allow connections to tcp:80,
but nothing more.  Neither showHTMLtitle.nse nor robots.nse set a
timeout for their HTTP GET requests and rely on the default of 30s.
I was thinking of submitting patches using "timing_level()", but it's
not yet in play.
So my questions:
What's the current status of Thomas' patch?
Would anyone disagree with the idea of setting a timeout for those two
scripts and to use timing_level() (if the patch were to be applied)?
        (I was thinking of something like
"math.modf(25000/timing_level())" (for T1-5 ) giving 30s, 25s, 12s, 8s,
6s and 5s for T0-T5)
Would it be a good or bad idea to have a default timeout for
http.request() using timing_level()?

Cheers,

jah