Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nessus free version cancelled, now $1200/year

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 00:57:02 -0700

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 08:42:58AM +0200, Renaud Deraison (lists) wrote:

Hello Fyodor,

Hi Renaud.  Thanks for the response.

- Nessus is still free to download for every user, commercial or not ;

Well, the engine doesn't do much good without up-to-date plugins.
Your FAQ says "The plugins provided with each release are not
up-to-date and will produce a report which contains missing results,
but they will suffice for an evaluation."

If you plan to include all plugins available at the time of a release
with that release, I'm glad to hear it!  Particularly if you will make
releases somewhat frequently.  But if the provided plugins "are not
up-to-date" as you say, then they provide little value.

Still, you make a good point.  I just downloaded Nessus 3.20 and it
does contain many plugins.  I hope you keep including plugins with the
releases.

- Home Users (not "some", but every home user)

Not those of us who run business from our home, if I understand your
license correctly.

and qualifying
charitable organizations will get a free "Home Feed", which is the
same as our "Registered Feed" but without a seven day delay. We write
a plugin and it will be immediately available to every user. There is
nothing crippled about this ;

Your letter says the HomeFeed only contains plugin updates "for home
users", and your FAQ shows a chart showing categories of missing
plugins in the home feed (such as SCADA and compliance checks).  If
you only include the plugins you think are appropriate for home users,
that is a crippled feed compared to your paid feed which includes all
plugins.  You might be surprised by the sort of enterprise equipment
some of us have on our home networks :).

Cheers,
-F