Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nessus free version cancelled, now $1200/year

From: "Renaud Deraison (lists)" <deraison-lists () nessus org>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 08:42:58 +0200

Hello Fyodor,

On May 22, 2008, at 4:17 AM, Fyodor wrote:

I normally don't post Nessus news to nmap-dev, but this affects Nmap
somewhat.  There is a new link on Nessus.Org to an "Important message
for our Nessus users":

http://www.nessus.org/products/directfeed/change.php
And FAQ at : http://www.nessus.org/documentation/index.php?doc=feed-
faq

The letter says that they are removing the free (but registration and
EULA acceptance required) "registered feed".  Users (except some
"personal non-commercial" users who qualify for a crippled "Home
Feed") now have to pay $1200/year to use Nessus.

Some clarifications :

- Nessus is still free to download for every user, commercial or not ;

- Home Users (not "some", but every home user) and qualifying
charitable organizations will get a free "Home Feed", which is the
same as our "Registered Feed" but without a seven day delay. We write
a plugin and it will be immediately available to every user. There is
nothing crippled about this ;

- Professional Users who want plugin updates will need to get a
"Professional Feed" which is similar to our current "Direct Feed"
offering. This is $1200 / year, and we're currently running a
promotion to lower this to $900 ;

- This change will go into effect on July 31st, and the existing
Registered feeds will be disabled a few weeks after that ;

So, Nessus is still free of use, the subscription to get the newest
plugins is much better for home users (who used to have a seven days
delay), and professional users will need to purchase a subscription to
get the updates. We effectively think this better balances the needs
of home users vs. commercial users.

FAQ: http://www.nessus.org/documentation/index.php?doc=feed-faq

If anyone here has any question, feel free to contact me directly,

                                        -- Renaud