Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Large update/recode of NSE (test please)

From: "Patrick Donnelly" <batrick.donnelly () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 06:32:43 -0600

Just some more details...

Here's a full list of the changes I've made:
 -- NSE now uses Lua's builtin class system and therefore nse_auxiliar
has been removed.
 -- nsock/dnet are now protected metatables and can only be accessed
via the debug library.
 -- Moved all lua_State * symbols from "l" to "L". This is to maintain
consistency with other Lua
    libraries (convention) and to make our macros portable.
 -- Moved file system manipulation over to nse_fs.cc (from nse_init.cc)

I mostly rewrote the initialization phase. Many of the changes consist
of changing how Nmap interfaces with Lua that were sometimes awkward
or inflexible. Most of the functions have been made to be callable
directly by Lua which offers many technical advantages: stack
management is alleviated, errors are handled cleanly and are more
descriptive, and there is increased reusability.

You can directly test this in my branch:
svn://svn.insecure.org/nmap-exp/patrick

Cheers,

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing
to do and always a clever thing to say."

-Will Durant