Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] Default NSE Scripts

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 11:06:56 -0500

Fyodor wrote:
Does anyone have concrete reasons why it is important to enumerate the
full list of supported SSL2 ciphers?  If not, I suggest that we change
the script to only print those in debugging mode or when verbosity
level is at least 2.  With that change, I think it is reasonable to
keep the script default.

I've committed the patch for this and added to Default.  Aside from
SMTPcommands being changed (which can wait and be moved over later), are
there any other outstanding issues with the current list below?

What about dns-test-open-recusion as Jah mentioned?

Default:

* anonFTP
* dns-test-open-recursion - Is this useful often enough?
* finger
* ftpbounce
* HTTPAuth
* HTTP_open_proxy
* MSSQLm
* MySQLinfo
* nbstat
* RealVNC_auth_bypass
* robots
* rpcinfo
* showHTMLtitle
* showOwner
* SMTPsysdesr
* SSHv1-support
* SSLv2-support
* UPnP-info

Non-Default:

* bruteTelnet - Too intrusive and slow
* chargenTest - Obscure / "demo"
* daytimeTest - Obscure / "demo"
* echoTest - Obscure / "demo"
* HTTPpasswd - A bit too intrusive and probably not useful enough
* HTTPtrace - Not default material
* iax2Detect - "version"
* ircServerInfo - I don't think this is default material (but I'm also
not an IRC user)
* ircZombieTest - "malware"
* kibuvDetection - "malware"
* netbios-smb-os-detection - I want this to be default, but it's "version"
* PPTPversion - "version"
* promiscuous - I don't think it's useful enough
* ripeQuery - Abusive to RIPE
* showHTTPversion - Obscure / only category is ""
* showSMTPVersion - Obscure / "demo"
* showSSHVersion - Obscure / "demo"
* skype_v2-version - "version"
* SMTPcommands - Too much output currently
* SMTP_openrelay_test - "demo" because of "real hostname" issue
* SQLInject - Obvious reasons  :)
* strangeSMTPport - Obscure / "backdoor"
* xamppDefaultPass - "vulnerability"
* zoneTrans - Just doesn't seem like default material IMO

Cheers,
-F

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn