Nmap Development mailing list archives

Zenmap vision for Summer of Code 2008

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 08:35:11 -0600

Hi list,

Early last week, I and the two Summer of Code students working on
Zenmap, Jurand Nogiec and Vladimir Mitrovic, developed a vision of what
we want Zenmap to look like at the end of the summer. I'm sending along
to all of you so you see what we have planned.

David Fifield

At the end of the Summer of Code 2008, we see Zenmap as an application
that network newbies and network professionals love to use. We see a
tool that is reliable and trusted, as trusted as Nmap. The application
has had the most important parts of its code documented and reviewed.
Its most-used features have been brainstormed, prototyped, and
discussed. It is user-friendly so you can learn but if you're an expert
it won't slow you down. If you know the command you want to use you can
just type it in and go.

We see a command constructor with context-sensitive help on each of the
options, to turn newbies into experts. Our Zenmap saves your scans
automatically if you wish, right in the filesystem, and it has a search
feature that lets you find what you're looking for fast. Zenmap can
combine the results of several scans and show them all at once, and can
show how the results of a scan have changed over time. We see
interactive network topology visualization that offers a compelling
advantage over the command line. We see being able to pick a host out of
the output and scan it individually when you want more detail.

We see a web review that remarks at how much better Zenmap has gotten as
as a result of hard work by the students in the 2008 Summer of Code.