Nmap Development mailing list archives

Solaris checksum bug not in Solaris 10?

From: "Nathan L. Bills" <bills () arsc edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:47:23 -0800

Hi nmap-dev,

When I build nmap 4.60 on Solaris 10 using gcc version 3.4.6 and run a
udp scan against a linux target host, I get 'UDP: bad checksum.'  errors
on the target and nmap reports all the ports as 'open|filtered'.
However, in config.h, when I change this:

#define STUPID_SOLARIS_CHECKSUM_BUG 1

to this:

#undef STUPID_SOLARIS_CHECKSUM_BUG

and rebuild the software, nmap runs correctly, reporting that the ports
are closed, and I don't see the bad checksum errors anymore on the linux
target.  Maybe that Solaris checksum bug is no longer there in Solaris 10?

nathan

--

Nathan Bills
nathan.bills () arsc edu

"The optimist claims we live in the best of all possible worlds, and
the pessimist fears this is true." -- John Adams, second U.S. President.