Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap on x64 Vista?

From: "'Fyodor'" <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:39:58 -0700

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 02:31:08PM -0000, Rob Nicholls wrote:
I just tried my VM of Windows 2008 x64 using the WinPcap files that are part
of Nmap and I got the familiar dnet error that suggests WinPcap hasn't been
properly installed (the Admin account in 2008 doesn't suffer from UAC,
thanks to a lovely group policy setting, so it's definitely not the
privilege problem that causes the same generic error message).

Thanks for the feedback.  I guess we need to install a different
npf.sys for Vista x64, as Gianluca suggests.

Is there any reason why we can't include the official WinPcap installer
instead of constantly tweaking Nmap's own version?
http://www.winpcap.org/misc/copyright.htm

I'd love to use their version instead and not have to deal with the
hassle.  Maintaining our installer is particularly hard because the
official Winpcap installer NSIS script is non-public, so we have to
reverse-engineer it.  I'm happy to report that most of the reasons we
created our own installer have been fixed in the recent official
Winpcap releases.  The main remaining issue is that the official
installer does not offer an option for silent installation.  Normally,
we want to show the Winpcap installer anyway.  But when large
companies roll out Nmap to many machines or in any other unattended
Nmap installation, users generally call the /silent option of the Nmap
installer.  That makes Nmap install quietly, and also calls the
/silent option on our own Winpcap installer.

So it is a tradeoff between the pain of maintaining our own Winpcap
installer, and the pain to some users of breaking the Nmap installer's
/silent option.

Is the /silent option worth the hassle of maintaining our own
installer?  I'm not sure.  I'm hoping the Winpcap folks will
eventually add /silent to their official installer, and then we won't
have to choose.

Cheers,
-F