Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Time for Nmap SoC! Project ideas wanted.

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:23:22 +0000

On 12/03/2008 07:24, Fyodor wrote:
o Zenmap developer to continue to improve and extend Nmap's new cross-platform GUI
  o Anyone here have ideas for what you'd most like to see in Zenmap?

I'd love to see more network visualisation in zenmap -
raidalnet/umitmapper style.  Zenmaps killer feature, for me, is the
Compare tool which basically rocks and I think  integrated network
visualisation would add to the rockingness.
o Nmap Scripting Engine infrastructure architect to improve the NSE platform
o Nmap Scripting Engine script developer to write a bunch more scripts
  for us.
   o Anyone have ideas of scripts you'd love to see?

I'd like to see more debugging for NSE to help with writing scripts, I'd
like to see debugging output along the lines of Lionel Cons suggestion
[1] for stdnse.print_debug(), but also for --script-trace output.
o Collect top ports data so that we can say things like "scan just the
  100 most common TCP ports".  The feature already exists, we just need
  the data.

This will be great when it happens and I'd like to see top ports
available in profiles such as The Internet, Enterprise Environment,
Vulnerable Services
o A testing framework that could be run (particularly before new
  releases) to insure that things are working properly.  Maybe it could
  even go so far as scan machines such as scanme.nmap.org to make sure
  OS detection works correctly, etc.

This would be great not only to check that nmap works as expected before
releases (and during testing), but also when experimenting with command
line parameters in day-to-day use such as when tying to discover the
minimum scanning needed for a result at a certain level of accuracy.
o Raw-packet IPv6 support so you could do SYN scan, etc.  Does anyone here use IPv6.

o Windows IPv6 support.  Again, does anyone want this?

At some point in the future, everyone will want this and I think it
would be great to get started.
o Embedded Nmap work--Nmap on the OLPC, Nokia Internet Tablets, and similar devices.

including smartphone OS's such as Symbian and Windows Mobile.

I'd like the option to gracefully end a scan if nmap detects dropped
probes against ports that previously responded and an option to pause a
scan in such a circumstance and periodically check those ports and
resume scanning if responses are received perhaps within a
--host-timeout window.

I often find myself saving text documents containing long nmap command
lines so I can apply them to targets consistently over long periods.
Zenmaps profiles can be useful here, but I don't always want to use
zenmap and I think that profiles would be quite useful for the command
line especially when running nmap from a USB drive.

Regards,

jah

[1] stdnse.print_debug() enhancements -
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q4/0770.html