Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: NMAP and MAC Addresses

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () everythingeverything co uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 01:44:26 -0000

Wasn't the original question posed to the list:

"Is there a way to retrieve MAC addresses from any subnet using NMAP?"

Dario answered that with a detailed answer that he probably hoped would
explain to Colin why the answer is basically a "no" (because IP networks
don't work that way).

Colin said he is trying to get the MAC address of *every* device (including
"Microsoft to Linux to Other"). So how exactly does "Locate a product called
"CC Get MAC Address"" answer the question that was posed to this list? If
Colin had looked into it in a bit more detail, the CC Get MAC Address tool
clearly states "CCGMA is based on Microsoft Netbios technology" so...

a) you can do exactly the same thing (for free; CCGMA is shareware and costs
money) using Nmap with the nbstat.nse script (or through Windows' built in
nbtstat tool, which is also free)

b) you still won't get a MAC address for Linux or Other devices (or Windows
devices that are filtering NetBIOS traffic).

There is no good answer. You might be able to get some information through
NetBIOS, some through SNMP (if it's enabled and you have the right community
string), or some other kind of voodoo mechanism, but AFAIK there is no
definitive way to get the information that Colin appears to be seeking.

Regards,

Rob