Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: compressing nmap executables and dlls with upx

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 17:40:21 -0600

On Feb 5, 2008 12:32 AM, Dario Ciccarone (dciccaro) <> wrote:
Ahem. Have we gone back to using 20 Mb hard disks ? :)

* "We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time:
premature optimization is the root of all evil." (Knuth, Donald.
Structured Programming with go to Statements, ACM Journal Computing
Surveys, Vol 6, No. 4, Dec. 1974. p.268.)

I think that going from 16Mb to 6.5 Mb (while an interesting reduction
in size), doesn't make much sense. Even if people thinks about having
nmap on an U3 drive - I just bought a 4Gb one for less than $30.

And there's a good reason NOT to do it, IMHO - AVs get antsy now and
then, and start flagging everything, good or bad, that has gone thru UPX
and derivatives as "suspicious". The garden variety nmap user would
probably ignore the alarm - knowing or suspecting it has been
UPX-or-similar compressed. But God forbids the AV (as TrendMicro used to
do) has a "run weekly, erase suspected" job pre-configured.

Happened to me once.

I mean - Fyodor's call. But I see it as bringing more headaches than
real benefits. Unless, of course, we consider those poor souls still
accessing the Internet over 2400Bps modems . . . ;)

Dario

I was thinking about folks building forensic bootable CDs (à la Helix)
and trying to cram as much as possible on one disk, but I totally
forgot about some AV considering upx "unwanted."
I actually had that problem with an IDS, too, so I should have thought of that.

Note: For anyone accessing the Internet over 2400Bps, elinks does a
pretty good job rendering Gmail in text mode.  Also, you have my
condolences.

-Jason