Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.22SOC7 Error on Vista

From: Alan Jones <alan () ajsquared us>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 08:59:25 -0500

I have done some more searching, but not found much. I saw Fyodor
commented in September that 4.22SOC7 should have fixes for Vista.
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q4/0030.html  Unfortunately the fix
may not have done everything.

I have WinPcap-Nmap 4.01 installed (never had anything older installed),
but the command line says the following....
nmap -v scanme.nmap.org
WARNING: Could not import all necessary WinPcap functions.  You may need
to upgrade to version 3.1 or higher from http://www.winpcap.org.
Resorting to connect() mode -- Nmap may not function completely

Starting Nmap 4.22SOC7 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-10-20 08:28
Central Daylight Time

Is there a difference between Nmap's WinPcap and standard WinPCap?  I
saw there were comments in WinPcaps forums that Wireshark had a modified
WinPcap.  It can get scary when different groups want their own modified
versions of standard things like WinPcap.

thanks for your thoughts on this...

alan

Alan Jones wrote:
Running Nmap 4.22SOC7 on Windows Vista I am getting the following error
on starting Nmap.

"nmap.exe - Unable To Locate Component"
"This application has failed to start because NPPTools.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

This is the first Nmap release for me to use on my new Vista machine.

I tried reinstalling a few times and even did an uninstall of Nmap and
WinPCap to see what would happen.... but nothing.

any thoughts...

thanks

Alan Jones