Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NPPTools.dll missing error in Vista

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () everythingeverything co uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 06:08:51 -0000 (UTC)

Morning,

It appears that VersionNumber is the key that's used to identify the
version of non-NT versions of Windows:

ReadRegStr $R0 HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion" VersionNumber

But NT based versions of Windows use:

ReadRegStr $R0 HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion"
CurrentVersion

Which fits with what I see on Vista, and agrees with my previous
suggestion for the winpcap-nmap.nsi file.

After installing Vista SP1 RC the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion keys are

CurrentBuild: 6001
CurrentBuildNumber: 6001
CurrentVersion: 6.0

So it should be fine to stick with checking that CurrentVersion is "6.0"
for all Vista users (it appears that only the build related keys change).

I've installed Windows 2008 RC1 (in VMWare Server) and, interestingly (or
maybe just interestingly to me?), the CurrentVersion key is also set to
the values above (6001, 6001, 6.0). It looks like (my installer for)
WinPcap 4.0.2 and nmap 4.51BETA work fine on 2008 RC1 (or at least is able
to scan against my own Vista host using a bridged network).

I've attached a patch that should correct the mistake for Vista/2008. I
used NSIS 2.33 to create winpcap-nmap-4.02.exe, upgraded my Vista to 4.1
Beta 2 then ran winpcap-nmap-4.02.exe and it correctly installed 4.0.2
with the Vista version of packet.dll. I also did the same on an XP Pro
machine, and it also worked fine, upgrading 4.1 Beta2 to the correct 4.0.2
packet.dll for XP. And it installed fine (clean install, rather than an
upgrade) on 2008.

Rob