Nmap Development mailing list archives

NPPTools.dll missing error in Vista

From: <spamme () zztopping com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 12:41:14 -0500

I was running the recent RC's with this same problem.

I am currently running Nmap 4.50 on my home Vista machine. Yes, I know Vista
sucks, but its what I got ;-) And yes, UAC is off.

Anyway, my problem is that when I try to start many different nmap scans, I
get the following errors:

Command-line:

WARNING: Could not import all necessary WinPcap functions.  You may need to
upgr

ade to version 3.1 or higher from http://www.winpcap.org.  Resorting to
connect(

) mode -- Nmap may not function completely

Windows pop-up:

This application has failed to start because npptools.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I get both of these simultaneously, and the scan fails.

I tried installing the Microsoft Network monitor driver due to suggestions I
read on some other forums. No change.

Any ideas?