Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] New nmap.fetchfile() and updated rpcinfo.nse

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:33:56 -0800

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 03:41:49PM -0600, Kris Katterjohn wrote:

I've attached two patches:

1) Adds a nmap.fetchfile() method for use in scripts.  It basically
wraps nmap_fetchfile() to return the path of the file (or nil if not
found or is a directory).  This gives scripts easy access to the nmap-*
data files.

2) Uses the new fetchfile() to shorten the recently added rpcinfo.nse
down to almost 1/4th it's size.  The output of the original and modified
script are the same for me.  My function for parsing the file includes
RPC names with underscores, which seemed to be left out of the list
Fyodor put in.

That sounds like a great solution to the problem, and one which will
be useful for other scripts.  For example, Marek was talking abouat a
light OS detection script which could use nmap-os-db data (he actually
already wrote one which uses p0f data).

Please check this in when you are comfortable that it is well enough
tested.

This does need to be documented though, I'll send you details on
editing scripting.xml.

Cheers,
-F