Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE Script] MySQL Server Information

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 20:25:22 -0600

jah wrote:
I think that this thread is getting difficult to follow! ;)

 From my point of view I think it's clear that an ideal would be to have
one script, which defaults to the "safe" mode of gathering information,
but which can also be stepped-up to be more intrusive should the user
require it.  Otherwise we'd have a brute-force script that did exactly
the same as the info script (with, obviously, the bruting too) and that
seems rather counter-intuitive.  Much better, I think, to have all the
functionality in one script and a) not needlessly introduce code
redundancy and b) not needlessly increase the amount of network activity
in such cases (for example) where all scripts are run.

For now though the current script is very useful and stands alone.  In
the future (and assuming that MySQLinfo is checked-in), it might be
replaced with a script that increases the functionality, but behaves the
same in it's default mode.

Yeah, that sounds good.  We can work with Thomas on the improved script;
remember, it requires the SSL bindings.

For now though, if anybody thinks so and I'm given the go I'll commit
the new script as-is.  Unless we have any other suggestions! :)

And here's a mad thought, there could be a complete overhaul of the
script category framework which would allow a modifier category of some
kind:

categories = {"safe", "discovery"}
modified-by = {"intrusive", "vulnerability"}

so that a script in the above categories would behave safely if a script
scan called for safe and discovery scripts, but would behave more
intrusively if a scan called for intrusive and vulnerability scripts.

hmmmmm, what thinketh youeth?

That sounds like a really cool idea

jah

Thanks,