Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE Script] MySQL Server Information

From: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 00:53:12 +0000

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 00:40:08 +0000
jah <jah () zadkiel plus com> wrote:

I think that this thread is getting difficult to follow! ;)

Agreed.

 From my point of view I think it's clear that an ideal would be to
have one script, which defaults to the "safe" mode of gathering
information, but which can also be stepped-up to be more intrusive
should the user require it.  Otherwise we'd have a brute-force script
that did exactly the same as the info script (with, obviously, the
bruting too) and that seems rather counter-intuitive.  Much better, I
think, to have all the functionality in one script and a) not
needlessly introduce code redundancy and b) not needlessly increase
the amount of network activity in such cases (for example) where all
scripts are run.

For now though the current script is very useful and stands alone.
In the future (and assuming that MySQLinfo is checked-in), it might
be replaced with a script that increases the functionality, but
behaves the same in it's default mode.

And here's a mad thought, there could be a complete overhaul of the
script category framework which would allow a modifier category of
some kind:

categories = {"safe", "discovery"}
modified-by = {"intrusive", "vulnerability"}

so that a script in the above categories would behave safely if a
script scan called for safe and discovery scripts, but would behave
more intrusively if a scan called for intrusive and vulnerability
scripts.

hmmmmm, what thinketh youeth?

jah

This is an interesting idea.  You can accomplish what you described
above with a few hacks using the registry (may take more than one
script though). Along those lines, I'd like to be able to exclude
scripts by category. For example, we've already had several people hung
up on bruteTelnet.nse. I'd like a couple of categories to be added like
"slow" and "brute-force".

Then, I can run "all" scripts while still not running certain ones like
so:

nmap ... --script=all --no-script=brute-force ...

Sometimes I want to run some intrusive scripts and not others.  As we
get more and more scripts, it becomes harder to list the right scripts
and categories without also including ones you don't want.

Brandon