Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: windows installer and COPYING

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 18:24:33 +0000

Rob Nicholls wrote:
I've noticed for the first time (having used it several times without
noticing) that the windows installer shows the License (COPYING) in a
field which is 5 chars too small for it

I'm sure most users are too busy clicking I Agree to bother reading it ;)

Aye to that!  Could just have a one liner saying "For License read
http://... , but we know you won't."
I suspect (but haven't checked) it's controlled by the font size in
Windows (so a larger font would mean even more word wrapping going on),
but you're right that a default copy of XP/Vista/2003 is displayed as seen
in your screenshot (and isn't very pretty).

I've had a look at nsis and can't think of any
other way to sort this without creating a different executable from
which the installer form derives.

Maybe someone has got a better solution...

Once the COPYING file in SVN has been modified (which only one of the
developers can commit), the updated version should get included in all the
dist files (*nix and Windows, which is why COPYING doesn't have any
Windows style linebreaks) whenever Fyodor puts out a new build. The
installer's license page simply displays the contents of the COPYING file
that eventually gets installed in the supplied installation path, so the
nsi file shouldn't require any modification.

  !insertmacro MUI_PAGE_LICENSE "..\..\COPYING"

Aye to that too, but what I had in mind was an nsis friendly version of
COPYING with no breaks except for paragraphs and bullet lists and which
would hopefully wrap inside the field at all resolution/font-size
combinations.  This of course would mean two versions of COPYING to
maintain, but the alternative would be to always have some combination
that breaks the formatting.  Unless, that is, there's another
alternative (like a one liner)...

jah