Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap dies on MacOS X 10.5.1

From: Jay Chandler <lists () sequestered net>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 21:59:04 -0800

David Fifield wrote:

Okay, and where are the files installed when you do "make install"? For
me it looks like

copying build/lib/zenmapCore/ScanProfileConf.py -> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapCore
copying build/lib/zenmapCore/NmapCommand.py -> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapCore
copying build/lib/zenmapCore/ServiceList.py -> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapCore
copying build/lib/zenmapCore/DiffHtml.py -> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapCore
copying build/lib/zenmapCore/__init__.py -> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapCore

so they are installed in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages, which is also
in my sys.path. An import error would be caused if where they are
installed is not in sys.path.

Interesting.  It would appear that zenmap is NOT installed by default on
MacOS with a 'make install.' Instead I have to descend into the zenmap
subdir and 'python setup.py install.'

At that point, it uh... doesn't appear to do anything.

singularity:~ jay$ zenmap
singularity:~ jay$ zenmap -h
Usage: zenmap [options] [result files]

  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -f RESULT_FILES, --file=RESULT_FILES
                        Specify a scan result file in Nmap XML Output or
Umit
                        Scan Result file. Can be used more than once to
                        specify several scan result files.
  -n, --nmap            Run Nmap with the specified args.
  -p PROFILE, --profile=PROFILE
                        Begin with the specified profile selected. If
combined
                        with the -t (--target) option, automatically run the
                        profile against the specified target.
  -t TARGET, --target=TARGET
                        Specify a target to be used along with other
options.
                        If specified alone, open with the target field
filled
                        with the specified target
  -v, --verbose         Increase verbosity of the output. May be used more
                        than once to get even more verbosity
singularity:~ jay$ nmap -A 192.168.1.15 -oX test.xml

Starting Nmap 4.23RC3 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-12-03 21:55 PST
*OUTPUT SUPPRESSED*

Service detection performed. Please report any incorrect results at
http://insecure.org/nmap/submit/ .
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 28.718 seconds

singularity:~ jay$ zenmap -f test.xml
singularity:~ jay$ zenmap -vvv -f test.xml
singularity:~ jay$

How exactly SHOULD this work?  It may be the error's entirely on my end...

-- Jay