Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Windows Installer version doesn't include IPv6

From: "Dan Griffin" <dan () jwsecure com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:48:16 -0800

(Amplifying this info to the rest of the group)

1.  Regarding Vista IPv6, there's actually basic functionality available
just by compiling with HAVE_IPV6 (in nbase\nbase_winconfig.h).  I
encountered no build errors (environment is VStudio 2005 with the latest
Vista version of the Windows SDK).

\temp\nmap-dev\mswin32\debug\nmap.exe -v -PN -6 -p135 jwsecure-l1

Starting Nmap 4.22SOC8 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-11-10 15:16
Pacific Standard Time
Initiating System DNS resolution of 1 host. at 15:16
Completed System DNS resolution of 1 host. at 15:16, 2.01s elapsed
Initiating Connect Scan at 15:16
Scanning jwsecure-l1 (fe80::dd8a:fcf0:2c77:1308) [1 port]
Discovered open port 135/tcp on fe80::dd8a:fcf0:2c77:1308
Completed Connect Scan at 15:16, 0.01s elapsed (1 total ports)
Host jwsecure-l1 (fe80::dd8a:fcf0:2c77:1308) appears to be up ... good.
Interesting ports on jwsecure-l1 (fe80::dd8a:fcf0:2c77:1308):
PORT    STATE SERVICE
135/tcp open  msrpc

Read data files from: c:\temp\nmap-dev\mswin32\debug
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.330 seconds

2.  However, the default host detection logic fails in v6 mode (e.g.
remove the -PN option from the above command-line) against Vista.  Any
idea why that would be?

replace the -PN option with the -PE option on the above command-line).
That exposes a number of minor problems, then a bigger one.  The latter
being that getsysroutes() and the code that immediately calls it is
v4-specific.

That logic is also where we get the device name, which is required to
send the ping, at least on win32.  Porting it doesn't look too
complicated - it's already platform-specific anyway - just a question of
time.  However, most of IPv6 APIs I would use are Vista-only, so if you
need the Vista version to run down-level, we'd need to do either
explicit LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress or delay-load with a custom error
handler.