Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Time to lose gen1 OS detection?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 01:18:38 -0700

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 11:33:05AM -0400, joe haldon wrote:
How about doing some diff's on OS's in the O1 and O2 and then creating
priority hit lists for submission into the new release?  With a email
list like nmap-dev we could probably fill in those missing 857
fingerprints in short order.

You definitely can help fill in any missing fingerprints!  We don't
have a priority list, because we're interested in any missing (or
wrongly reported) systems.  So if you want to help out, please scan
your networks with 4.22SOC8 and the "-sSU -F -O2 -T4" options, and
submit any fingerprints Nmap gives you.  We're going to do another big
round of integration before the upcoming stable release.  It is best
if you scan from as few hops away as posssible (e.g. scan your corp
network from the network itself, not over the Internet).  And of
course you need to scan networks where you know or can find out what
the devices actually are.

Cheers,
-F