Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Time to lose gen1 OS detection?

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:09:53 -0600

If I use -v and -O1, I can get a that says
Initiating gen1 OS Detection
instead of
Initiating OS detection (try #1)

If nmap can't figure out the OS, I get this in the output
Initiating OS detection (try #1) against 192.168.xx.xx
Retrying OS detection (try #2) against 192.168.xx.xx
Retrying OS detection (try #3) against 192.168.xx.xx
Retrying OS detection (try #4) against 192.168.xx.xx
Retrying OS detection (try #5) against 192.168.xx.xx

but no real indication which database it was using at the time

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to scan any unidentifiable
systems right now.  Most of those systems are production AIX systems
and scanning them crashes some of the apps and must be coordinated
with the admins.

-Jason