Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: implementing nmap in python

From: Max <nmap () webwizarddesign com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:01:31 -0400

On 8/28/07, Guilherme Polo <ggpolo () gmail com> wrote:
It is not that we (can I say we?) from Umit don't love Nmap::Scanner,
but, first: it is perl =) Umit is python. Second, I took a look at
your lib right now and I saw it uses IPC::Open3, that is just like
using subprocess or you can update me since I haven't been using perl
lately. Umit already handles the nmap scans using subprocess, and it
also has a nmap xml parser and during this GSoC a new database schema
was created and it is possible to insert these xml scans into
database, but it is still missing somethings that I saw your lib have.

Of course I'm not telling you to not port your library to python and
ruby (argh ;)
Just pointing some reasons why it would be good to have a libnmap like
was suggested by Giorgio and why it is not used in Umit.

Ah, ok, makes sense.  This is interesting (libnmap), about 4-5 years
ago I expressed a wish to have a libnmap, before I started on
Nmap::Scanner .. I didn't have the time to explore the idea with code
and solicited for help, but no one was interested at that point si I
wrote my sub-process based library.

Fyodor at that time also stated that he preferred to have
post-processing tools use nmap output in order to not tie nmap down to
the complexity of exposing its' functionality in library form.

Fyodor, have you changed your mind on that?  How do you feel about
having a libnmap now that you have all this SoC talent around to help?
:)

- Max