Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: converting xml output to pdf using FOP

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:47:16 -0500

On 7/19/07, Diman Todorov  wrote:
Hello Jason,
last year in SoC I spent quite some time trying to get exactly this
to work. After a week or so of digging around it appeared to me that
most of the non commercial FOP implementations are far from complete.
Converting to xml works most of the time but useful pdf conversion is
simply not free. I think Fyodor is using something commercial, but I
forgot what it was exactly. Perhaps he will comment here :)

cheers,
Diman

Something else I considered today, but did not have much time to look
at: OpenOffice.org's ODF.  It's XML based and the 2nd version of it
has already been standardized.  Of course, you have to read through an
800 page document to figure it out (which I read about the first five
pages of).

I did find a shareware Windows program that let's me do a conversion
of XML + XSL = Word document (I have to turn on visible borders on the
tables and do the highlighting myself, though).  It cost me $20: ABC
Amber XML.
It supports PDF, too but sort of mangles parts of it.
Both FOP and RenderX XED give errors and won't produce an output file.
 This program does it with no questions asked.

I was hoping to find some decent Perl modules to slurp in XML and spit
out ODF or PDF, but no joy there either.

-Jason