Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: A few UMIT problems/suggestions

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:42:20 -0500

Adriano Monteiro wrote:
Kris,

I have attached an XML file for a scan, and when opening in UMIT, I
still get 0 for filtered and closed when you can plainly see there are
plenty of each :)

Does UMIT use the <extraports> XML directive (I think it's called)
correctly? That's where it is in this scan.

I think I saw the problem. I'll work on it

Cool

This is a scan I did through Nmap and just opened through UMIT, so it
messes up both ways (through UMIT or just passed to it).

I didn't understand what you mean.

I have the problem when I run a scan using UMIT, and also when I use
Nmap on the command line and pass UMIT the XML output.

* I killed UMIT (usual SIGTERM), but nmap still ran in the background.

Yeh =) UMIT runs nmap in background with subprocess, but this could be
fixed too of course.

Cool :)

If you close the tab, you get the child process killed ;-) Umit
controls the nmap process, and if you kill it, you'll end with the
nmap process running in the background. One of the ideas of the Nmap
Wrapper is having full control under nmap process and avoid such
issues.

I killed UMIT through an xterm (using the default SIGTERM), and Nmap was
still running.  Python can catch signals and all that, can't it?
SIGTERM isn't a "fatal" signal like SIGKILL, and is usually caught by
programs to exit cleanly.  SIGINT, SIGHUP and a couple others are
usually caught as well.

Sorry, I would normally try to write up patches or something, but I
don't know Python much at all :)

If you have some spare time you could write these bugs in umit
bugtracker at sourceforge:

I don't know if UMIT members follows this list (I wasn't following
too, but I woke up and decided to take a look in this list), that is
why I answered. It is good to know more people is using and testing
UMIT =)

Fyodor suggested that I send to nmap-dev, but I'll see about using the
bugtracker as well.

The bugtracker is better, because I can keep track of bugs, and I see
when a bug is registered on it.

Okay, cool.

Cheers!

Thanks,