Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Re: A few UMIT problems/suggestions

From: "Guilherme Polo" <ggpolo () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:38:08 -0300

Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn <at> gmail.com> writes:

Hey everyone!

Hello Kris,

First of all, I'm not UMIT project admin but I'm participating as a
SoC student in UMIT.

I have noticed a few things while testing out UMIT (off SVN):

* I haven't done extensive testing yet, but at least on my Ubuntu box
when I try to Save the scan, I get a window pop up to choose where to
save the file and it just freaks out!  It's like there are two of them
sort of overlapping and it jumps between them or something.  It's hard
to explain and won't let me save the scan.  This is the only
window/option I've seen that this happens to, so I don't know how it
could be just me experiencing it because everything else seems to work fine.

It doesn't happen here (but that was using my branch).

* I read the README, and it doesn't describe anything else to do, or
maybe it hasn't been done yet because it's something new and just in
SVN, but here it goes: When I click the Help button, my browser pops up
with the help.html that was installed. But none of the links works
because the XML files in the docs directory were installed, but the
help.html wants HTML versions of these files. Also, the nse_facilitator
one doesn't seem to be installed at all.

That README is more like a "INSTALL" for now. If you test "a not SVN
version" of UMIT, you will see that button Help won't open anything so
Help still needs to be done.

nse_facilitator in umit is another SoC student project, he will be
doing this part.

* A small one: The misspelled "Openned" is used everywhere I see for
open ports

;)

And I have a suggestion: Under the Profile list for all-ready made scan
options, I think just having a Ping Scan or "Host Discovery" option
would be nice.

* Most of the port info under the Host Details tab after the scan is
done seems to be very wrong.  The "Openned" one is right, but the Closed
and Filtered ones always say 0 (no matter how many there are) and
Scanned just says the same amount as "Openned".

Uhm, there are some xml test files and I opened then in UMIT and I saw
Closed different than 0. If you can send some xml file it would be
good. Those results are parsed from xml output.

* I killed UMIT (usual SIGTERM), but nmap still ran in the background.

Yeh =) UMIT runs nmap in background with subprocess, but this could be
fixed too of course.

Sorry, I would normally try to write up patches or something, but I
don't know Python much at all :)

If you have some spare time you could write these bugs in umit
bugtracker at sourceforge:

I don't know if UMIT members follows this list (I wasn't following
too, but I woke up and decided to take a look in this list), that is
why I answered. It is good to know more people is using and testing
UMIT =)

You're welcome to test my branch too ;)

Thanks.

--