Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: can nmap output information about closed ports or hosts that are down?

From: "Brett Cunningham" <cssniper22 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:16:23 -0500

I'm not sure this is the answer you're looking for, but if you'd like to
know when there is a status change, ndiff will compare two nmaps scans and
alert you to the difference. To me, it seems like you might want to know if
a service is no longer listening (ie: smtp no longer listens on your mail
server). Otherwise, if a port isn't open or filtered, it's closed and is
rather irrelevant.

While nmap can provide this type of service, it's not designed for it. I'd
suggest looking into network monitoring tools like Nagios (FOSS software).

If I didn't answer you question, please let me know.