Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: what trickery can nmap take 20 hours to scan 1 host!!

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:39:46 -0500

On 4/23/07, Jan Engelhardt  wrote:
Hi,

On Apr 23 2007 10:14, Hari Sekhon wrote:

thanks for your replies guys, I am aware of timing setting, I usually
use -T4 locally but leave -T3 for cross internet.

I had a peak at the that url regarding chaos tables. It looks
interesting but it doesn't explain how it foils port scanners.

http://jengelh.hopto.org/p/chaostables/fw.html#se7
Section 7, I quote myself: "When the rate limit kicks in, nmap
throttles its scan timing to accomodate for this to not lose scan
result accuracy."

Run nmap with -v and it will *tell* you when it does throttling.
"Increasing from blah to blah because of blah" or something like that.

-Jason