Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: what trickery can nmap take 20 hours to scan 1 host!!

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:14:49 -0500

On 4/21/07, Jan Engelhardt  wrote:

On Apr 20 2007 12:48, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
I have run nmap against a host who was trying to do something funny to
one of my machines

nmap -sS -P0 -O x.x.x.x -p-

Starting Nmap 4.20 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-04-19 15:08 BST
Stats: 0:00:39 elapsed; 0 hosts completed (1 up), 1 undergoing SYN
Stealth Scan
SYN Stealth Scan Timing: About 0.29% done
Stats: 4:21:06 elapsed; 0 hosts completed (1 up), 1 undergoing SYN
Stealth Scan
SYN Stealth Scan Timing: About 11.75% done; ETC: 07:45 (14:39:55 remaining)
caught SIGINT signal, cleaning up

I have run tarpits and but here I am running a SYN scan so it's
shouldn't catch it.
If I scan a host that doesn't exist on my local subnet like

 nmap -sS -P0 -O 192.168.x.x -p-

Starting Nmap 4.20 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-04-19 18:22 BST
Nmap finished: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.317 seconds

So it doesn't have any problem when the host doesn't respond, and if I
have a tarpit, the ACK from the SYN scan is all it cares about and
immediately moves on (I can scan 65535 ports on a tarpitted host in SYN
mode instantly). So in a SYN scan, tarpit tricks don't work to make the
originator keep retrying, so what is up with this remote host?

What can make nmap hang so badly that it would take nearly 20 hours to
scan all the ports?
This must be some counter scan technology or something.

http://jengelh.hopto.org/p/chaostables/ for example...
1024 ports in about 2 minutes -- but only when using `nmap -T5` (decreased
result reliablility).
Scales linearly with more ports, e.g. 64K ports = 128 minutes.

And expect nmap to take a LOT longer in the default -T3.

Jan
--

I can accurately scan all 65535 TCP ports on a typical non-firewalled
Windows host one or two hops away in under 10 minutes.  UDP ports are

-Jason