Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Patch] Traceroute, Windows localhost scan fix

From: "Eddie Bell" <ejlbell () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:52:24 +0100

Ah damm. Now I think about it this may not actually fix Alan's bug but
it definitely fixes a bug! Traceroute's architecture may require a
little rework to address Alan's problem

After exams I'll get on it
- eddie

On 20/04/07, Eddie Bell <ejlbell () gmail com> wrote:
Hey Kris,

On 20/04/07, Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com> wrote:
Hey Eddie,

I was looking at your patch, and the checking of pd that's being
added doesn't look necessary because my_pcap_open_live()
only returns a good descriptor.

The problem is that if pcap_open_live fails then nmap quits.
pcap_open_live will fail on Windows if it a trace is executed against
localhost. So we have a test before-hand to return if this is the
case.

pd is initially set to NULL. The check of pd is there so other
functions know if pcap_open_live was executed, otherwise we get a
segmentation fault when traceroute tries to access it.

I hope my patches/fixes/comments on Traceroute don't come
across bad; I really like your work, it's great! :)

No don't worry :) I appreciate the help bug testing.

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn

cheers
 - eddie