Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: hosts NOT alive

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:42:32 -0600

On 2/27/07, Jesse Charbneau  wrote:
joe sadfsdf wrote:
Hello All,

Give a list of hosts, I want to determine which ones are DOWN. I'm
trying NMap because it can give me really interesting info about the
hosts which are up, but I can't get it to just tell me who is down!

nmap -iL c:\my_host_list.txt -sP -oN c:\scan_results.txt
-append-output -v -log-errors

In the command shell, these options show me which hosts are up and
which are down, however scan_results.txt only contains information
about which hosts were up. In the command shell and my resulting file,
I only want to log information about which hosts are down... how do I
do this?

thanks

joe

ps, i hope this isn't a repost... i sent earlier but i think it was
denied.

how are your hosts configured? Are they firewalled?

for simple testing, I usually do something like `ping -c 2 -w 1
[host|ip] > /dev/null && echo Alive || echo down`

that assumes that the hosts are not blocking pings.

nmap -sP <IP List> | grep 'appears to be down'

That works for me.