Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: LUA raw sockets

From: Diman Todorov <diman.todorov () chello at>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 19:36:20 +0200

Hello Fred,

I have tested the new nmap LUA acripting engine and I find it very
useful.
I am glad you like it :)

As it as already been suggested, it would be great to do some
firewalking or
traceroute, or anything else that requires raw sockets. However, I
have read
the man page, and there seem to be only support for TCP/UDP/SSL
connections.
A quick google search for LUA raw sockets turns up nothing, too. I
must
admit, though, that I am new to LUA.
Would there still be a way to craft packets using NSE ?
There's good news and bad news.
The good news is that a traceroute feature is soon coming along as a
part of
another SoC project. You're welcome to beta test it, for more
information
read Eddie Bell's anouncement.

The bad news is that currently raw sockets aren't planned for NSE for
one
very pragmatic reason: the nmap nsock library does not provide a raw
sockets
API. Adding raw sockets to NSE would require to either extend the
nsock library or to come up with a separate implementation for raw
socket I/O. In both
cases the task is a project which goes beyond the effort of adding a
nifty feature.

If NSE finds resonance I will definitely keep the raw sockets topic
on my
TODO list. As a matter of fact LUA users in general are complaining
about
the lack of a LUA raw sockets library so I am sure there is interest
present.

Also, I installed and ran the sample scripts on a Sun Ultra 5 station
(sparc64), with OpenBSD 3.9. It worked fine, I only had to provide
the usual
--with-openssl=/usr and use gmake.
Thanks for the testing.

cheers