Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: rare animal: Nmap on Windows 2003 x64

From: Max <Reply.to.list () acme com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 08:45:14 +0200

If you need *to* pentest a 64bit machine, you should run your scan
*from* another machine. Use a 32bit machine *for* the test and you
should have no problems with nmap.

M@x

Spam wrote:
Hi there,

a couple of days ago I needed to pentest a 64Bit Windows 2003 box.
I know that the question might sound silly since because I don't really
have the output (neither do I have access to the system) anymore, but
does nmap run at all on this machine?

Specifically (I was using the winpcap 3.2 alpha1, 3.1 didn't fly).
upon using nmap it kept on telling me that it couldn't found the default
interface. nmap --iflist showed the same complaint. (Needless
to say that there was one). The system was with its patches pretty up to
date, I didn't tweak the registry (like AppCompatFlags), a comparable
32Bit system worked.

Sorry if this was discussed before but I couldn't find anything.

Cheers,

      Dirk

PS: I ended up writing a (cough) BAT script using netcat. :-/